Thursday, May 15, 2014

First Week in the MTC!!!

Hola family and friends!!!!

First off, if you sent me a letter I’m really sorry but the address I was given was incorrect. My mom will update the address. PLEASE SEND ME LETTERS ;) The mail system is pretty reliable but not 100% so if you don’t hear back from me within a few weeks write again!!! Be sure to put your return address.  I want to write you guys but I don’t have any addresses if you don’t send me a letter!!  While I am in the MTC a very reliable way to contact me is dearelder.com You type up a letter on their website. Then choose the Dominican Republic MTC and they will print it off for me within a week.

I am in love with the Dominican Republic! It is amazing here at the MTC!!!!
The people are great, my teachers are great, the food is great, and my companion (Hermana Graham) is awesome!!!!

The day I flew in, I got to the MTC (Missionary Training Center—in Spanish it’s called the CCM) and didn’t get to bed until 2am.  The next day I woke up at 6:30am. Longest day of my life!!!  We had a full day of orientation and classes. By the end of the day I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" As I said my prayers that night I remembered Gordon B Hinckley's quote, "Forget yourself and go to work." As I have remembered that thought, the CCM has been an amazing experience! Every Day I learn so much!! And it’s so fun.

The Spanish is coming along pretty good. After the 2nd day we were already teaching 30 minute lessons. I couldn’t even carry on a conversation in Spanish let alone teach the gospel before I got here!!! But I have learned that as I study diligently I am somehow able to do it. Not well. But I can do it!

The CCM is beautiful!! The temple is right next door. It is gorgeous!!! This is literally paradise!!!
On the 4th day I was able to go around the temple grounds and bear my testimony to people in Spanish!!! Wow that was amazing. I couldn’t believe I was doing it! It felt so right to be bearing my testimony as a representative of Jesus Christ to the Dominican people :)

We're only allowed on the temple and CCM grounds right now which is making me a little stir crazy. I can see the city and cannot wait to get into the mission field!!! Only 5 more weeks, right?

We are all separated into districts. There are 7 of us--3 elders and 4 sisters. Hermana Graham is a great companion. She is so enthusiastic and is a hard worker. I think we are making a good team.

Most of the day is classes. By the second day they were speaking to us solely in Spanish. I have 3 teachers. They are all locals from Santo Domingo and served missions here.

I love you guys so much!!! I’m going to attach pictures!!! I can feel the strength of your prayers and I am grateful.

I know my Savior lives!!! I cannot wait to share that knowledge with the people of the Dominican Republic. I feel so blessed to be a missionary. Love you guys!!!! Sorry this is so jumbled! So little time, so much to tell.

Con amor,

Hermana Hansen

Santo Domingo-I am Here!


Hermana Graham &  Hermana Hansen

The Santo Domingo Temple



I Love Santo Domingo!

A little sampling of the delicious food at the MTC



1 comment:

  1. Dearest Hermana Hansen, We love and miss you, but the Lord's work is much more important! You are an amazing young woman and missionary, and His blessings are with you - especially learning Spanish. Love your pics, blog, and everything you share with us! You are in our daily prayers, as is Colin and all the missionaries around the world. Enjoy your day! Do you Siesta???? love, Elder & Sister Hartje

    ReplyDelete