Friday, May 30, 2014

Hola!

Hola amigos y familia!

This was a pretty awesome week. The highlight had to be going to the University. On Friday two of  my teachers Hermano Martinez and Hermano Rodriguez walked us over to the University, gave us 25 pamphlets, and a Book of Mormon, and told us to talk to everyone and anyone. We were supposed to introduce ourselves as missionaries and then share a short message about our church. I was so nervous. Practicing being a missionary to your teachers is so different than the real thing. Hermana Graham and I decided we would just go for it. We walked up to the first person we saw and said "Hi my name is Hermana Hansen and this is my companion Hermana Graham, we are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, would you have time for us to share a quick message with you about our Savior?" (But all in Spanish) Then we would share a message, give them a pamphlet with phone numbers for missionaries they could call if they were interested in hearing more. I was actually being a missionary! I was doing exactly what I came here to do--share with my brothers and sisters the gospel of Jesus Christ. I was scared out of my mind but it felt great. I finally got to see my hard work put into action. Going to the University just reaffirmed why I am here, to bear testimony of Jesus Christ. To share his gospel and to testify that he lives.

The people here are amazing. Not a single person declined our message. They were so receptive to hearing a message about Jesus Christ. Many of them thanked us for the work we were doing and shared their own testimonies of the Savior. I am so blessed with the opportunity to serve such wonderful people. I LOVE the people of the Dominican Republic. I've never met more kind, loving people.

The rest of the week was pretty normal. Yes, there was an earthquake but it was so small I didn't even know it happened until I walked into the hallway and my teacher asked me if I felt it. So no worries :) We get to go to the store on Tuesday and to the University again tomorrow. I love the CCM but its nice to get out into the city. I cant wait until I'm out in the city teaching the gospel every day. I love the city. There is always so much going on. I love it. There is a lot of poverty, and our teachers say that we were walking through the richer parts of the city, but the people are happy. It's quite humbling to realize just how blessed I've been. The driving is crazy, and a lot of the buses are missing doors (but they always have curtains for some reason, haha) 

We got to go to the temple again today. I love that it is right across the street from the CCM. It is so beautiful.

On Sunday we watched an old Provo MTC devotional from 2009.  I saw Wesley Evans in the choir! The devotional was by Elder David Bednar. My favorite quote was "Stop worrying, keep the commandments, remember and honor your covenants, have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and it will be all right, and ye cannot go amiss." I love that quote, and it is so so true. I just need to do my very best, and Christ will make up the rest. I feel so blessed to have that knowledge. I love my Savior.

I love you guys. You are the best. I am so blessed with such wonderful family and friends. Thanks for all of the support and love. I LOVE letters. Send them to the Miami address or use dearelder.com and choose Santo Domingo East mission. 

Goodbye til next week! 
Hermana (Carrie) Hansen





No comments:

Post a Comment