Monday, August 18, 2014

So Much Spanish!

Saludo a todos!

Wow this was a really great week. I love my new companion, Hermana Morales. She's from Guatemala and she's amazing. This is her last transfer in the mission and she is such a wonderful example. She knows how to teach the doctrine so simply and lovingly.  She is obedient, works hard, and has a great laugh. I'm blessed to have her as my companion. I wish she wasn't going home in a few weeks. 

I'm speaking Spanish just about 24-7, except when I'm in the house I occasionally talk to Hermana Jacobs, Hermana Romeros new companion, in English. It's hard sometimes when I don't know how to express myself in Spanish, but I'm grateful for the opportunity. I'm learning a lot. I'm able to understand most everything Hermana Morales says. Guatemalans speak a lot more slowly and clearly than Dominicans. Thank goodness. But sometimes I just have to say, "Sorry Hermana Morales, I don't understand." She's really patient. 

Our area is progressing a lot! I feel so blessed to be teaching the people I am teaching. We had a lesson this past week with two investigators named Pascar and Jerri. They are neighbors and they are from Haiti. There were four languages going on in that lesson. Jerri would ask Pascar a question in french-creole. Then if he couldn't express himself in Spanish he would try to explain it to me in English. But even though there is a slight language barrier they have a strong desire to learn and are really progressing in the gospel. Wow, I love being a missionary. Each and every week I get to see the people I teach come closer to Christ. And you really can see it. As they learn more about Christ and make changes in their lives you really see a change in their countenance. This is truly the Lords work . 

As I was studying yesterday, I ran across a conference talk by Sister Jean A Stevens. It is called ¨Fear Not for I am With Thee¨ from the April 2014 Conference.  It basically put my testimony exactly into words. If you want to know what I have learned on my mission so far I encourage you to read it. I know God lives and that He is aware of us and hears and answers our prayers. And I know that through our faith and the grace of God each and everyone of us can be HEALED by the Atonement of Jesus Christ. No matter the trial, pain, heartache, anxiety, or sin. We are never forgotten. No matter how small we may feel in this big world our God is consious of our situation. He WILL help us, but in His time and in His way. And His way is the way that will lead us to progressing to become like Him! How great is our God!

I love you all! Sorry for the lack of pictures, this computer won't upload them.

Hermana Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment