Thursday, August 20, 2015

Journal Entry

Carrie sent us one of her journal entries and asked that we share her experience with all of you.

Caroline Hansen
Journal Entry
7/26/2015

A couple days ago I was privileged to do one of the most inspired contacts on my mission.  I had spent all day in the capital with a large group of missionaries who had to get their green cards.  I had been on an exchange with Hermana Barfuss because our companions didn’t need to get their green cards that day.  Afterwards we found a bus that would take us back to Almirante.  We got on a bus and had to sit in the very back row.  A couple minutes later a middle aged man got on the bus.  He looked exhausted from a long day at work.  He sat down next to me.  He was sweating a lot and looked like he didn’t want to be bothered, but I felt I should talk to him.  So I started up a conversation.  At first it was kind of slow.  But then I started to ask about his family.  He said he had a wife and 5 children, but they were older and only his wife and daughter lived with him.  He said it was hard because his family was so spread out.  I told him the story of when I was talking on the phone with my dad when I was at BYU and dad told me home was with him, not at BYU and I related that with how the earth really is not our home, but rather Heaven is with our Heavenly Father.  He really related to that story.  He said he had visited the church before, but had stopped going due to his work schedule.  I then felt prompted to show him my family pictures.  I showed him our family.  I then explained that right now my parents and Celeste live in Chicago.  Adriane & Mckay were in Iowa, my brother was in Portugal and I am in the DR.  But how we are happy and even though I miss them sometimes, I don’t worry.  I then showed him my parent’s wedding picture.  I explained to him that there are places called temples (and there is one here in the DR), where is found the power of God, to seal together husbands and wives, and parents and children, so that they can be together forever.  I said that my family is all over the world right now, but we have been sealed in the temple so I have peace and I feel close to them.  I testified that he too could have an eternal family, but that it would only come as he followed Christ.  The words that left my mouth were not mine.  They were the Lord’s words.  The spirit was so strong.  I felt a deep love and charity for this man I had just met.  We continued to talk for the next hour.  We both shared gospel truths that we know to be true.  The spirit was so thick.  His countenance changed.  He had been touched by the spirit and felt grand joy.  I testified that the things that he felt were not because of me, but were from the Lord.  He said he knew that, that I had just been the instrument the Lord sent to give him the message.  He also said he knew it was not a coincidence that he chose to sit in the very back of the bus that day, but rather it had been organized by God.  I told him he was right.  I took his information so that the missionaries could find and teach him.  It was hard to get off the bus and say goodbye to Alonzo Sandobal.  I told him it had been a great pleasure and as I walked away from the bus, he took his hand out and waved.  I am so very grateful to my Heavenly Father who let me participate in this sacred experience and who gave me the words that He knew would touch the heart of Hermano Alonzo Sandobal.  This man is prepared to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know that as we are obedient and have faith in our Savior and the courage to follow the promptings of the Spirit we can be made an instrument in the hand of the Lord to touch the hearts of His children.  There really is no greater privilege.  I thank my Father every day that He has given me this opportunity to serve a mission and be a representative of His Son, Jesus Christ.  I know He loves me and all of His children.  Each and every one.  He allows us to bless the lives of each other.  I love Him.  I love His son, and I love being in His work.  Mosiah 8:18,  “Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings.”

Love, Hermana Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment